The Longhorn 2017
The Longhorn is back! Sunday April 23rd 2017
Choose 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon or 60k Ultra set in private areas of Sherwood Forest & the beautiful grounds of Thoresby Hall; a Grade1 listed 19th Century country house in north Nottinghamshire.
Xenium Studios produced this video of the 2016 event (thank you) : The Longhorn 2016 - a short film
Running over old military roads, cleared tracks through ancient woodland and grassed paths around the country estate. The route includes a few hills to offer a small challenge around the course in the most scenic countryside & forest. The elevation is noted on the downloadable course map. The course has very firm hard ground if dry (2015) but if we get rain (or snow!) then there can also be considerable amount of muddy areas to run through (2016). The event will be held 7 weeks later next year so should be warmer.
Nothing looks more beautiful than the sunlight streaming through the leaves in this natural area of beauty. We have devised a race that takes you into Nottinghamshire's National Nature Reserve, through private areas that were once part of the 10,000 acres Royal Forest of Sherwood where the woodland is dominated by native Oaks as well as other native trees including Silver Birch, Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn. The reserve is also the site of Europe's oldest Oak tree woodland, containing over 1000 Oaks most of which are over 500 years old! It is here that the Longhorn Cattle of Thoresby Estate now roam freely, although being a very docile breed of cattle, they will be tucked away during our run race.
Race numbers and your timing chip will be given out on the morning of the race. Please allow enough time to collect these from Race Registration.
The 60k Ultra will start at 8:30am, the Marathon will start at 9:30am - 5k, 10k & half will start from 10:30am
The Ultra will have an 8 hour limit to complete the course & we may ask participants to finish prior to their final lap if they will finish after 4.30pm. Marathon runners must also finish before 4.30pm giving them a 7 hour time limit. Cut off is 3.15pm. After that you will not be permitted to continue another lap & we send an END RUNNER round the course to ask marshals to stand down & to ensure last participant returns safely. This is for your safety & to ensure course marshals can leave at a suitable time.
The Longhorn will have the following:
- Trail Runners Association permit
- 5k family run/walk
- 10k run race (1 lap)
- 1/2 marathon run race (2 laps)
- Marathon run race (4 laps)
- 60k Ultra (6 laps)
- Chip timing
- Regular water / feed stations around the course (for man & beast!)
- Route fully marshalled and signposted
- Distance markers
- Bespoke race finishers medal - new bling this year!
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd man, woman and age groups ( to be confirmed)
- Canicross Winner Trophies
- Nordic Walking Winner Trophies
- Race photographer - free unlimited race photos
- Sports Therapist for post race massage
- Full medical provision
- Ideal for novice through to elite
- Race village with hot food and beverages for sale
- Good Spuds providing high quality jacket potatoes, bacon butties & more!
- Little Sunshine Van providing home made cakes & hot drinks including specialist coffee & gluten free options
- Childrens Entertainment
- Free onsite parking- please car share to save our environment.
We welcome Canicross Runners across all distances - Water stations will be provided to dogs regularly out on course & at Race Village. We recommend your dog wears a running harness & is used to running with you. Remember they need to train too. Don't expect your dog to run a distance just because you can! Please clean up after your dog & keep your dog on a lead at all times as this is a SSSI preservation area. Please book on using the Canicross category.
New for 2017 - Nordic Walking on 5k, 10k & half marathon distances! Please book on using the Nordic Walking category.
To enter under EA affiliation you must have a valid EA membership number at time of booking.
EARLY BIRD PRICES END MON 2nd JANUARY 2017 (full prices are in brackets):
- EA Affiliated £40 (£50)
- Non-EA Affiliated £42 (£52)
- EA Affiliated £33 (£39)
- Non-EA Affiliated £35 (£41)
- EA Affiliated £24 (£30)
- Non-EA Affiliated £26 (£30)
- EA Affiliated £16 (£21)
- Non-EA Affiliated £18 (£23)
5k family friendly run / walk
- EA Affiliated Adult £7 (£9)
- Non-EA Affiliated Adult £9 (£11)
- Child £5 (£6)
- Family ticket (2 adults & up to 4 children) £23
See you in 2017 to run round Nottinghamshire's most beautiful course!
We will add more details about this race nearer the time
Online entries close 23:59 Sunday 16th April
ON THE DAY ENTRY WILL BE PERMITTED ON THE FOLLOWING RACES IF PLACES DO NOT SELL OUT
Prices for on the day entry are:
Half Marathon - £35
10k - £25
5k - Adult £12, Child £6, Family ticket £30
We look forward to seeing everyone on April 23rd - St George's Day!
Enjoy your training!