The Longhorn 2019
The Longhorn is back! Sunday April 28th 2019
Choose 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon or 60k Ultra set in private areas of Sherwood Forest & the beautiful grounds of Thoresby Park; next to a Grade1 listed 19th Century country house in north Nottinghamshire; Thoresby Hall.
Running over old military roads, cleared tracks through ancient woodland and grassed paths around the country estate. The route includes a few hills to offer a small challenge around the course in the most scenic countryside & forest. The elevation is noted on the downloadable course map. The course has very firm hard ground if dry (2015) but if we get rain (or snow!) then there can also be considerable amount of muddy areas to run through (2016). The event will be held 1 week later in 2019 from 2018 & we had glorious sunshine but in April - who knows?!
Nothing looks more beautiful than the sunlight streaming through the leaves in this natural area of beauty. We have devised a race that takes you into Nottinghamshire's National Nature Reserve, through private areas that were once part of the 10,000 acres Royal Forest of Sherwood where the woodland is dominated by native Oaks as well as other native trees including Silver Birch, Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn. The reserve is also the site of Europe's oldest Oak tree woodland, containing over 1000 Oaks most of which are over 500 years old! It is here that the Longhorn Cattle of Thoresby Estate now roam freely, although being a very docile breed of cattle, they will be tucked away during our run race.
Canicross entries & Nordic Walkers are very welcome. Please ensure you enter under the specific category you wish to be registered under. Canicross 10k & half marathon run at 9.30am. 5k canicross run at 12pm.
10k - Due to the number of 10k runners we have introduced a wave of runners at 11am & 2pm. Please book into the correct wave.
Race numbers and your timing chip will be given out on the morning of the race. Please allow enough time to collect these from Race Registration.
The Ultra will have an 8 hour limit to complete the course & we will ask participants to finish prior to their final lap if they will finish after 4.30pm. Marathon runners must also finish before 4.30pm giving them a 7 hour time limit. Cut off is 3.15pm. After that you will not be permitted to continue another lap & we send an END RUNNER round the course to ask marshals to stand down & to ensure last participant returns safely. This is for your safety & to ensure course marshals can leave at a suitable time.
The Longhorn will have the following:
- 5k family run/walk
- 10k run race at 11am & 2pm (1 lap)
- 1/2 marathon run race (2 laps)
- Marathon run race (4 laps)
- 60k Ultra (6 laps)
- Chip timing
- Regular water / feed stations around the course (for man & beast!)
- Toilets on course
- Route fully marshalled and signposted
- Distance markers
- Bespoke race finishers medal - new bling this year!
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd man, woman
- Trophies for Veteran Winners; Male 40+ & Female 35+
- Canicross Winner Trophies
- Nordic Walking Winner Certificates
- Age group Certificates
- Certificates for ALL - sent by email
- Race photographer - free unlimited race photos
- Sports Therapist for free post race massage
- Full medical provision
- Ideal for novice through to elite
- Race village with hot food and beverages for sale
- Good Spuds providing high quality jacket potatoes, bacon butties & more!
- Little Sunshine Van providing home made cakes & hot drinks including specialist coffee & gluten free options
- Free bouncy castle for children
- Race partners at race village - to be confirmed
- Free onsite parking- please car share to save our environment.
- The 60k Ultra - 8:30am
- Canicross 10k & Canicross half marathon - 9am
- Marathon - 9:30am
- 10k - in waves from 11.00 to 11.15am - please book into the 11am or 2pm wave
- Half marathon - in waves from 11:30 to 11.45am
- 5k start 12pm
- 10k - in waves from 2pm - please book into the 11am or 2pm wave
- ALL Nordic Walkers & Canicross entries join general start times except 10k & half marathon Canicross ( there are so many entries & we let the dogs go early to avoid the heat!)
We welcome Canicross Runners across all distances - Water stations will be provided to dogs regularly out on course & at Race Village. Your dog must wear a running harness & be used to running with you. Remember they need to train too. Don't expect your dog to run a distance just because you can! Please clean up after your dog & keep your dog on a lead at all times as this is a SSSI preservation area. Please book on using the Canicross category.
NORDIC WALKERS - please book on using the Nordic Walking category
Xenium Studios produced this video of the 2016 event (thank you) : The Longhorn 2016 - a short film
To enter under EA affiliation you must have a valid EA membership number at time of booking.
EARLY BIRD PRICES END SUNDAY 10 OCTOBER 2018 (full prices are in brackets)
- EA Affiliated £42 (£55)
- Non-EA Affiliated £44 (£57)
- EA Affiliated £35 (£40)
- Non-EA Affiliated £37 (£42)
- EA Affiliated £26 (£32)
- Non-EA Affiliated £28 (£34)
- EA Affiliated £18 (£22)
- Non-EA Affiliated £20 (£24)
5k family friendly run / walk
- EA Affiliated Adult £8 (£10)
- Non-EA Affiliated Adult £10 (£12)
- Child £7 (£8)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 2 children) £32 (£38)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 3-4 children) £39 (£45)
See you on April 28th - to run round Nottinghamshire's most beautiful course!
Collect Race number on the day at registration. A pre race email will be sent to all participants 1-2 weeks before the event with full information.
We will add more details about this race nearer the time
ENTRIES CLOSE 7th APRIL 2019
ON THE DAY ENTRY WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE IF THERE ARE SPACES - TO BE CONFIRMED 1st APRIL 2019
On the day entries prices:
5k Child - £8
5k - £15
10k - £30
HM - £40
Marathon - £50
60k Ultra - £60