The Longhorn 2023
Our favourite 'The Longhorn' is back! Sunday April 23rd 2022
Choose 5k, 10k, half marathon, 30k, full marathon, 50k ultra, or 60k Ultra set in private areas of Sherwood Forest & the beautiful grounds of Thoresby Park; next to a Grade1 listed 19th Century country house in north Nottinghamshire; Thoresby Hall.
Running over old military roads, cleared tracks through ancient woodland and grassed paths around the country estate. The route includes a few hills to offer a small challenge around the course in the most scenic countryside & forest. The elevation is noted on the downloadable course map. The course has very firm hard ground if dry but if we get a lot of rain then there can also be a few muddy areas to run through.
Nothing looks more beautiful than the sunlight streaming through the leaves in this natural area of beauty. We have devised a race that takes you into Nottinghamshire's National Nature Reserve, through private areas that were once part of the 10,000 acres Royal Forest of Sherwood where the woodland is dominated by native Oaks as well as other native trees including Silver Birch, Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn. The reserve is also the site of Europe's oldest Oak tree woodland, containing over 1000 Oaks most of which are over 500 years old! It is here that the Longhorn Cattle of Thoresby Estate now roam freely, although being a very docile breed of cattle, they will be tucked away during our run race.
Canicross entries & Nordic Walkers are very welcome. Please ensure you enter under the specific category you wish to be registered under. Canicross 10k & half marathon run at 9am. 5k canicross runs & returns ahead of the 5k run group.
10k - Wave of runners at 11am & 2pm. Please book into the correct wave. There will be less participants on the 2pm wave but still plenty of participants on the course to feel a great race atmosphere.
Race numbers will be posted.
CUT OFF FOR ALL DISTANCES
The Ultra's will have an 8 hour limit to complete the course & we will ask participants to finish prior to their final lap if they will finish after 4.30pm. Marathon runners must also finish before 4.30pm giving them a 7 hour time limit. CUT OFF IS 3.15pm FOR ALL DISTANCES. After that you will not be permitted to continue another lap & we send an END RUNNER round the course to ask marshals to stand down & to ensure last participant returns safely. This is for your safety & to ensure course marshals can leave at a suitable time.
For runners on the half marathon, marathon & Ultra's you will be able to leave kit bags under cover of a gazebo at race village so you can grab food, change of shoes, socks & any other kit you need every time you pass by (every lap).
The Longhorn will have the following:
- 5k family run/walk
- 10k run race at 11am & 2pm (1 lap)
- 1/2 marathon run race (2 laps)
- 30k (3 laps)
- Marathon run race (4 laps)
- 50k Ultra (5 laps)
- 60k Ultra (6 laps)
- Chip timing
- Regular water / feed stations around the course (for man & beast!)
- Toilets on course
- Route fully marshalled and signposted
- Distance markers
- Bespoke race finishers medal - new bling this year!
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd man, woman
- Trophies for Veteran Winners; Male 40+ & Female 35+
- Canicross Winner Trophies
- Nordic Walking Winner Certificates
- Age group Certificates
- Certificates for ALL - sent by email
- Race photographer - free unlimited race photos
- Sports Therapist for free post race massage
- Full medical provision
- Ideal for novice through to elite
- Race village with hot food and beverages for sale
- Race partners at race village - to be confirmed
- Parking is £3 per car (for charity) - please car share to save our environment.
Start times: (wave times will be used to ensure a smoother race for all - faster runners going first)
- 8.30am - 50k & 60k Ultra
- 9am - Canicross (DOGS ONLY) 10k & half marathon & 30k (Canicross only on all distances)
- 9.30am - 30k & Marathon
- 11am - 10k
- 11.15am - Nordic Walkers Half Marathon (ONLY Nordic Walkers) - (at end of 10k waves)
- 11.55am - Half marathon
- 12.45pm - 5k Canicross (DOGS ONLY)
- 1.30pm - 5k
- 2pm - 10k
- 5k & 10k Nordic Walkers join main field of this category & start at back please (or where pace suits you most) - note your wave time based on your pace
We welcome Canicross Runners across all distances - Shared water stations will be provided to dogs regularly out on course (every mile) & at Race Village. Your dog must wear a running harness & be used to running with you. Remember they need to train too. Don't expect your dog to run a distance just because you can! Please clean up after your dog & keep your dog on a lead at all times as this is a SSSI preservation area. Please book on using the Canicross category. Please request to drop down a distance if weather becomes too warm nearer race day.
NORDIC WALKERS - please book on using the Nordic Walking category
Steve Ashman from Ashman Media produced this video of the 2019 event - thank you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsivjMTZ5o&feature=youtu.be
Xenium Studios produced this video of the 2016 event (thank you) : The Longhorn 2016 - a short film
EARLY BIRD PRICES END TBC (full prices are in brackets)
- Individual Entry £44 (£59)
- Individual Entry £40 (£52)
- Individual Entry £37 (£47)
- Individual Entry £32 (£41)
- Individual Entry £28 (£36)
- Individual Entry £20 (£26)
5k family friendly run / walk
- Individual £12 (£15)
- Child £9 (£10)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 2 children) £38 (£45)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 3-4 children) £47 (£55)
We will add more details about this race nearer the time
ENTRIES CLOSE SUNDAY 2nd APRIL - AFTER THAT LATE ENTRY PRICES WILL APPLY
ON THE DAY ENTRIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL DISTANCES
(please bring cash on race day to Registration Tent)
Late entry prices:
5k Child - £15
5k - £20
10k - £31
HM - £41
30k - £46
MARATHON - £52
50k ULTRA - £57
60k ULTRA - £64
Like our Facebook page to keep up to date with new events! ~ SBR Events Fa